We may change portions of this Privacy Notice from time to time, so be sure to check back. If we make a change that significantly affects your rights or, to the extent we are permitted to do so, significantly changes how we use your personal information, we will notify you by way of a prominent posting on our websites, e-mail and/or postal mail prior to the change becoming effective.
RENTING A VEHICLE FROM SAVE RENT A CAR:
When you make a reservation, rent a vehicle or join one of our programs such as a corporate programme or our preferred renter programme, we collect information to provide you with our great services (for example, renting a vehicle, including performing the vehicle rental contract as set out in our General Conditions of Rental, Location Specific Conditions and Rental Agreement, providing any requested optional extras, taking payment, pre-authorisations and security deposits and providing discounts and offers or other benefits) and for our legitimate business interests (for example research and development of new products and services, undertaking fraud and security checks and enforcing our legal rights). The information we collect includes:
- email address (if you are booking online or wish to receive e-receipts);
- home address (for licence validation and billing);
- employer details and business address (if you are a member of a corporate program);
- telephone numbers at which we can reach you;
- date of birth (for licence validation and legal requirements);
- gender (for licence validation);
- payment information such as your credit or debit card details (security code is never asked by any of our staff – we don’t need the security code for any of our transactions);
- tax number (if specifically requested);
- information from driver’s licence and/or other government issued identification, including if you are an additional driver for the specific rental (for licence validation and legal requirements); .
- information from another form of identification documentation such as passport or national identity card if your driver’s licence does not include a photo, is not in English or is not recognisable as you and/or proof of address such as a utility bill (for security and anti-fraud purposes). The information we collect and retain will only include your photo ID where you are informed of this;
- special discount codes, partner member numbers, corporate rewards programs (if you request discounts, special privileges and loyalty programs); .
- special requests and preferences, including:
- your preferences regarding optional extras such as damage waivers and other protections;
- other information that may be required to rent you a vehicle and/or provide you with services.
If you have an accident, or suffer any loss, theft or damage to the vehicle during your rental or suffer any mechanical failure, we will collect information regarding such incident including your report of the incident and any police or other third party report including details of those involved, together with the nature of any personal injuries and/or damage to the vehicle and optional extras. We will use this information to perform our contract with you (for example, the vehicle rental agreement and/or the terms of any optional extra like insurance); for our legitimate business interests (for example, in recovering the costs of any loss or damage caused to the vehicle); for complying with any legal obligation on us (for example, making any required notification of the incident to appropriate authorities); and establishing, exercising or defending legal claims arising as a result of such incident.
During your rental we will collect where and when you rented the vehicle, where and when you returned the vehicle, insurance preferences, fuel consumption, mileage, accident history and other information related to the vehicle and your use of it. This information is required in order to provide you with the services you requested under the rental contract or for our legitimate business interests (for example to monitor the usage of our vehicle fleet).
In addition to the purposes listed above, we use this information to better understand our customers and provide you with relevant offers.
We will also collect information about any speeding, parking, toll or other traffic-related fines that you incur or any traffic offences that you commit during your rental where these are provided to us by any law enforcement agency. We will use this information to deal with such fine or offence in accordance with the terms of your vehicle rental agreement with us.
Some vehicles come equipped with a global positioning system (GPS) or similar type tracking device that may also collect information about the vehicle
If you have requested any of the insurance products that we offer during your rental, such as Insurance Excess Reduction, we will pass your personal information to the insurer that is underwriting that product in connection with you entering into a contract with that insurer for that product. The name of the insurer will be made available to you when you are requesting the relevant product.
In the event that you make any claim under one of these insurance products, your personal information relating to the claim will be provided to the insurer and any appointed claims handler. We do this to fulfil the terms of our agreement with you and to establish, exercise or defend any associated legal claims.
The use of your personal information by that insurer will be subject to the terms of that insurer’s privacy notice.
VIDEO & PHOTOS:
Save Rent A Car rental locations may be equipped with video security surveillance systems as well as cameras that may record as our vehicles depart/enter our lots and these cameras may take images or photos of you, authorised drivers and passengers.
We may take an image or photo of you and scan your driver’s licence, passport or other identity document to confirm information you provided to Save Rent A Car.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take reasonable steps to make sure your information is protected from unauthorised use, access, disclosure, alteration, destruction or loss. For financial or payment information, we use firewalls and Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. We take security extremely seriously but as no system is 100% secure, we can’t completely guarantee the protection of your personal information, any more than any other organisation can.
We do not ask for financial or payment information, such as your credit card number, passcode, account number or pin number, over the phone. Please always check that any website on which you are asked for financial or payment information in relation to our rentals or services is operated by Save Rent A Car or its affiliates. If you do receive a suspicious request, do not provide your information and report it by contacting one our customer service representatives.